While some cookware is made to last forever, it does require maintenance. Nonstick cookware should be thrown out once it is damaged.
A good set of nonstick pots is something I like. Nonstick is easier than cast iron and steel in my kitchen.
But, once I realize the environmental costs of throwing out so many old pots & pans, I feel guilty.
Cuisinart has created an ecofriendly nonstick line for cookware lovers.
SPOILER ALT: This set is great, slightly more costly than others, but well worth the investment for its durability and eco-friendliness.
It can be purchased here at Amazon
For more information, including cool alternatives, read my Cuisinart Green Gourmet review.
Things to consider before you buy a hard anodized ceramic non-stick cookware set
Sets of hard anodized aluminum cookware make a great addition for any kitchen. They allow for high efficiency cooking.
These kitchen benefits are possible with the material:
- High durability
- Materials that are non-reactive
- Excellent cooking performance
- It is easy to clean
Despite this, not everyone will be able to use the range. Here are some reasons why:
- Cookware that is more expensive than others
- Many times, nonstick coatings are not dishwasher-safe or suitable for high temperatures.
- Nonstick coating (if supplied) often contains Teflon
- Aluminum can become sticky if there isn’t a nonstick coating.
Nonstick, hard anodized ceramic cookware has a ceramic coating that is less likely to contain Teflon. This is the perfect choice for people who enjoy spending a lot of time in the kitchen and working hard to create a delicious dish.
If you are in a rush and need to be in the kitchen quickly, traditional Teflon pans might be a better choice.
Cuisinart Green Gourmet Review
While I am reviewing Cuisinart’s 10-piece Green Gourmet set (which is available in 12 pieces ), it is also possible to purchase a 12-piece version.
This set includes:
- 1x 8-inch (20 cm) skillet
- 1x 1-quart (0,9 liter) saucepan with cover
- 1x 2.5-quart (2.4 liters) saucepan with cover
- 1x 3-quart (2.8-liter) saute pot with cover
- 1x 6-quart (5.7-liter) saucepot with cover
- Pasta insert for 6-Quart Saucepot
The 4 lids are counted towards the total of 10 pieces
Cuisinart’s eco-friendly cookware sets feature an aluminum construction that is hard-anodized to ensure even heating.
Cuisinart Green Gourmet pan sets have a ceramic nonstick coating, which is also oil-free. The pots and pans are also PTFE-free. Teflon is primarily made up of PTFE.
However, the nonstick coating on the skillet is not perfect.
Unfortunately, you will have to continue hand-washing. However, this set is very easy to use.
- Provides even cooking
- Quality, hard-anodized construction
- Made from 70% recycled materials, riveted handles
- Dishwasher safe is not recommended
- Skillet can be a little small
Cuisinart Green Gourmet: Features and Benefits
This set is claimed by the manufacturer and features a non-stick coating. You can watch their video here.
But do these claims hold up? Mostly–yes. Continue reading to learn more.
This set is the perfect choice if you are looking for a set of cookware that will last a long time in your kitchen.
It is scratch-resistant, and won’t crack or peel easily. This is due to the anodized aluminium. Anodized aluminum is lighter and more durable than regular aluminum.
Customers report that Green Gourmet lasts for many years. This is a testament to the Green Gourmet’s exceptional durability.
It is important to know if the product can be properly maintained. The range is durable but not dishwasher-safe. The dishwasher can cause damage to the nonstick coating.
It’s easy to clean
Cuisinart is hand-washable but has a smooth, non-stick surface.
Customers report that you can scrape food off the surface and clean up any residue. This is especially true if you have used butter to lubricate your top layer.
Ceramica that is non-toxic and non-stick
Ceramica is a nonstick surface created by electrochemical anodizing of the set’s smooth sections. However, unlike Teflon, it doesn’t use Polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE)–making it potentially more eco-friendly and safer than its Teflon counterpart.
Customers have said that the nonstick properties are excellent, especially when using oil to cook eggs or meats.
Aluminum can be leaked into food if you cook acidic foods like lemon juice or tomato sauce on metallic pans.
This set won’t cause any problems due to its hard-anodized finish and nonporous coating that lock the aluminum in the pan. Customers have expressed their delight with the quality of the internal lining.
It is hard-anodized aluminum which provides excellent performance in the kitchen. It’s perfect for evenly distributing heat, so meats will be cooked throughout, and there are no hotspots.
According to the manual you can also use this cookware in an oven with a maximum tempof of 204degC (405degF).
According to the manufacturers, this cookware also captures heat very efficiently when used over a medium flame or medium-hot flame. This is due to the material used. It saves you gas and time over the long-term. I wish I had known this a LONG while ago.
Its performance is also enhanced by its handling, according to users. The stay cool riveted handles make it easy to pick up pots and pans.
The set is not suitable for high-temperature cooking on a hob, despite its excellence. The manufacturer says that the material’s ability to absorb and distribute heat efficiently can eventually cause damage.
This set isn’t named for green!
It lacks PTFE which makes it more eco-friendly and healthier. These chemicals can cause toxic chemicals to be released at temperatures exceeding 260°C (500°F) so it is best to avoid them.
The eco-friendly philosophy extends to riveted “stay cool” handles made of 70% recycled stainlesssteel. Another environmental benefit!
The recycled packaging is another great addition to this department. It is definitely a box-ticker for my wallet. As long as the set is eco-friendly, customers don’t mind paying a premium.
These alternatives are available if you don’t want to go for the Green Gourmet.
GreenPan Valencia Cookware Set
The GreenPan set also has a green component and is made with the brand’s Thermolon mineral. This means that the materials are free of PFAS/PTFE, just as Green Gourmet.
Similar to the Cuisinart model it won’t emit toxic fumes if the pans are accidentally overheated. This is a good idea to not “test” it, as any pan that has been overheated could be damaged.
This set also offers a variety of options.
- 1x 8-inch (20 cm) frying pan
- 1x 9-inch (23 cm) frying pan
- 1x 13cm (5.5-inch) frying pan
- 1x 11-inch (28cm), frying pan
- 1x saucepan, 2 quarts (1.9 Liters), with a lid
- 1x 3-quart (2.8 liter) saucepan with lid.
- 1x 3-quart sautepan with lid
- 1x 5-quart (4.7-liter) casserole with a cover
Another option is the GreenPan Lima 12” frying pan. This is an amazing choice.
The GreenPan set is not like the Cuisinart cookware. It has a nonstick coatingon it. This ensures excellent durability, heat distribution and easy cleanup.
This set has a major advantage over the Cuisinart option in that it is dishwasher-safe. It’s oven-safe upto 315degC (5999degF).
User reviews have indicated that one of the downsides to this model is the fact the non-stick starts to chip from the set. This makes it nearly impossible to use.
- Safe for dishwasher, oven, and broiler
- For greater durability, diamond-infused coating
- It is easy to clean
- Ceramica chips off the edges quite often
- Once the coating starts to wear, it is very difficult to use.
Comparison with Cuisinart Green Gourmet Cookware
- Cuisinart uses a diamond-infused coating and Cuisinart uses a hard-anodized aluminium construction.
- Cuisinart cookware is not dishwasher- and broiler safe.
- Cuisinart’s option offers better durability for maintaining the nonstick coating.
You will love the look of the Green Pan Valencia Set and would like to see more Green Pan products. Please visit my Green Pan Review.
Gotham Steel Cookware
This Gotham Steel 13-piece set is another excellent set that you should consider. It includes:
- 1x 8-inch (20 cm) skillet
- 1x 10-inch (25cm), fry pan
- 1x 12.5-inch (32cm), fry pan
- 1x 1.5-quart sauce pot with lid
- 1x Sauce pan, 2.5-Quart with Lid
- 1x 3-quart (2.8 liter) pan for cooking with lid
- 1x 3-quart saute pot with lid
- 1x 6-quart (5.9 liter) stockpot with lid
This set is far more durable than Cuisinart’s stainless-steel cookware. This makes it extremely durable, non-porous, and water-resistant. It allows you to cook high-quality meals.
All Gotham Steel products can also be PTFE or PFAS-free. This makes them eco-friendly and healthy.
Even so, the nonstick provided by mid-sized pans is reportedly not very effective – which can be a bit disappointing
Customers love the fact that the cool-touch stainless steel handles are safe and secure while cooking.
- PTFE, PFAS-free
- Clear, break-resistant glass lids for monitoring your cooking
- Exterior aluminum hard-anodized with quality
- Pans of medium size could have better nonstick properties
Comparison with Cuisinart Green Gourmet Cookware
- Both products feature anodized aluminum exteriors
- Both are PFOA-free, PTFE-free, and PFOA-free.
- Gotham Steel’s set has a lower price
- Cuisinart provides superior non-stick properties
Learn more about Gotham Steel and find out if it is better suited for you.
Get Price on Amazon
You can eat healthy in more ways than one
Being health-and-eco-conscious almost goes hand-in-hand, and as you’ve no doubt concluded after reading my Cuisinart Green Gourmet review.
Its eco-friendly design is highlighted by the absence of PTFE or PFAS. This stove is also highly efficient, reducing your gas consumption by making use of the heat.
This is a great set. It’s not cheap, but it has eco-friendly and extra durability that make it worth it.